Wednesday, April 19, 2006

American Idol Predictions & What to Watch

Last night's "The Great American Songbook" on American Idol was probably the best overall theme night performance this year. There was only one bad (and I do mean bad) performance.

A quick overview of the evening in blurbs and sentence fragments...

Chris Daughtry - "What a Wonderful World" - Pretty good. Shows he can bring it down. A bit off key in spots. The judges liked this performance much more than I did.

Paris Bennett - "Foolish Things" - Very good performance. But... It's just too freaky to see a mousy voiced little kid talk about her Easter basket and roller skating one moment, and then proceed to sing like a 50 year old veteran performer the next...

Taylor Hicks - "You Send Me" - Also, very good. Probably the best balance of restraint and "crazy Taylor" so far.

Elliott Yamin - "It Had To Be You" - Technically perfect. Not very exciting.

Kellie Pickler - "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" - This was either one of the worst live performances in the history of television or a brilliant atonal masterpiece. For those who still have this saved on their Tivo, watch Simon's head slump in disgust at the 40 minute mark! It's a great Idol moment.

Ace Young - "That's All" - Good performance. Good falsetto. Hated his hair.

Katharine McPhee - "Someone To Watch Over Me" - She b hot... The Idol makeup crew really worked her over last night. Probably the best performance of the night. However, I do not see her winning the competition.

The Bottom Three

* Elliot
* Paris
* Ace

The Prediction

Sorry ladies, but I predict Ace is going home tonight, although Kelly should be rightfully banished after last night's awful performance.

What to Watch

The Amazing Race at 8:00pm on CBS

American Idol at 9:00pm on Fox - A svelte 30 minutes this week.

Alias at 9:00pm on ABC - Alias returns. I am deciding whether or not I care at this point.

South Park at 10:00pm on Comedy Central - The South Park gang takes on Oprah's Book Club and the scandal over James Frey's book "A Million Little Pieces" in an episode titled "A Million Little Fibers". In this episode, Towelie, TV's favorite pot smoking towel, has his memoirs chosen to be part of Oprah's Book Club.

8 comments:

Wrecking Machine said...

Kellie sounded like s&*$ crapped death. But, she's blond and stupid, so America will probably keep her around.

Ace sounded like hell. Like he has since the finals started.

Everyone else sounded good (some better than others) but the only one who didn't bore me to tears was Taylor.

And no Frank. Bastards.

Dolf said...

I guess this genre runs the risk of being considered "boring" especially to the youngsters.

How about "Elvis Night" or even better how about "The Smiths Night"??? I would love to hear Kelly's take on "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now".

Dolf said...

I'm sorry, its "Kellie" not "Kelly"...

Rob said...

You were right on Katharine. I figured she would do well based on that vampy broadway number she did a few weeks ago. For some reason, she only seems to show some personality on those kind of tunes. For what I thought would be a boring show last nite, it was great, aside form Kellie and Ace. Simon must've gotten some right before the show cuz that was the nicest I've ever seen him - even to Ace, who I thought he looked like a member of the Columbian drug cartel, or Kevin Federline. And Paris is going to make one hell of a jazz singer. My bottom 3 prediction... Kellie, Ace, and Elliot.

Dolf's wife said...

I know Ace isn't the greatest, but I would like to just look at him for a couple more weeks; although, I did not like last night's look. I hate all the girls, so if one of them goes, I am fine with that.
I believe in your bottom three picks this week, but I think Elliot will go tonight.
Hopefully, your predictions will be better than last week. Love ya!!

J-nel said...

I agree with 'Dolf's wife'...Ace is dreamy!!!! I wish he would stay around so all of the women/men (to be politically correct) can gaze into those sultry eyes... Unfortunately, I think he is on the chopping block tonight.

J-nel said...

I agree with 'Dolf's wife'...Ace is dreamy!!!! I wish he would stay around so all of the women/men (to be politically correct) can gaze into those sultry eyes... Unfortunately, I think he is on the chopping block tonight.

Rob said...

dialidol's predictions were right on the money....

http://dialidol.com/asp/predictions/Predictions.asp