Thursday, April 06, 2006

What to Watch, American Idol Wrap Up & More

As I predicted (now at 2 in a row), Oprah, Starr, I mean Mandisa was voted out of American Idol last night.

Next week's genre is "The Music of Queen". Queen happens to be one of my all-time favorite bands. "Somebody to Love" and "Under Pressure" are two of the best songs ever recorded. Considering how high Freddie Mercury's voice was, I think it is going to be a very challenging night for the Idols to say the least. If I had to make an early prediction, I think Paris and Elliot will be on the chopping block again, probably joined by Bucky. I like Bucky but I do not see his voice translating well to Queen's music.

What to Watch

Survivor at 8:00pm on CBS

The Loop at 8:30pm on Fox - I am giving this show a Dolf-alert! I have seen one episode and it was very funny! Bookman, the library cop from Seinfeld, is one of the main characters and he was hilarious. There are several talented female cast members as well - if you know what I'm sayin'...

C.S.I. at 9:00pm on CBS

American Inventor at 9:00pm on ABC - Can you say "Bulletball"!?

The Office is not on tonight, instead the awful Teachers takes its place for the night. ER and Without a Trace are repeats.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Queen is one of my favorite bands as well and I'm interested to see how next week goes. I predict the performances will be very good or very bad - nowhere in between.

After getting grilled for being too hard w/ Creed, I'm sure Chris will avoid "Stone Cold Crazy" :)

I just hope nobody chooses the been-there-done-that standards of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" or "Another One Bites The Dust".

Katherine's voice would lend itself well to "Somebody To Love". As much as I hate to admit it, George Michael is the only one I've heard do it justice (and his was the only decent performance at the disastorous Freddie tribute concert). It's not easy to match Freddie's voice.

As much I like Queen, I cringed when the Paul Rodgers/Queen tour was announced. However, I recently got the chance to watch the concert DVD and it actually works quite well. Rodgers doesn't try to emulate Freddie and his voice works with the Queen material. And Roger Taylor sings a great version of "There Are The Days Of Our Lives".

And if you've never seen Queen's performance at Live Aid you owe it to yourself to find it online somewhere and watch it. It's considered one of the best live performances ever and for good reason.

Dolf said...

You are right... I think its going to be a very good or very bad kind of situation. I'm leaning towards bad ;)