Wednesday, May 24, 2006

American Idol Finale Predictions 5/24 & Suggestions

Good enough to win...

As he has done all season long, Taylor performed competently and took very few vocal risks. He did just well enough to win. God bless America!

Are you sure I can't sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for all three songs?

Katharine went 1 for 3 last night. "Rainbow" was once again very good. (She's still no Sam Harris!) However, the "Black Horse" song was pretty lame this time. And her performance of the single "My Destiny" was a screamy and out of tune disaster. Katharine's dad was right in crying after that performance. Katharine had a good run, but I think she's a goner...

Calling Frank Stallone...

Am I the only one who thinks the American Idol "singles" were awful? Both of these songs sounded like they could have been penned and sung by Frank Stallone. I can imagine either of these songs appearing in an 80's dancing/boxing/arm wrestling/karate movie.

Change the format of the finals...

The AI producers need to change the format next year. Why can't the finalists perform new songs? We just saw "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" last week we don't want to see it again!

I think the best format would be:

1. The AI single
2. A new song chosen by the contestant
3. A new song chosen by the viewers in a phone or online vote

6 comments:

Nelly-J said...

Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you post my comments???

Anonymous said...

Just to see what all the hub-bub was about I tuned to watch American Idol last night. And it was just as I had suspected. There isn't any hub-bub. What I saw and heard was a joint Kenny Rogers / Kathy Lee Gifford concert.

Wrecking Machine said...

Yeah, the two singles sucked. Hard.

Taylor did have a better final show, but Katherine had a better season (in my opinion) so we'll see, but Taylor will probably win.

I can't believe the (bad) songs they chose (Round 1 for Katherine, Round 2 for Taylor). If they were supposed to go out there and 'WOW' everyone, Taylor should have done Love and Tenderness and Katherine should have done that Whitney Houston song (despite the judges' comments before.) But instead, both chose to have so-so performances on sub-par songs.

But, I really don't care who wins; I only watch American Idol because it's on before House. This is actually the first season of AI in which I've seen more than just the 'rejects' episodes.

guh-bard said...

Last nite's show was indeed a letdown, and as anti-climatic a finale as any could be. Considering that it's the final, they should simply let them pick new songs on their own to win it or lose it on their own merit.

I agree with you on the new songs and it was glad to see the judges confirm how lame they were instead of playing to the machine. Taylor clearly made the best of the drivel that they were both handed. Most of the songs Taylor has written on his own are better than the Idol-penned ones.

DialIdol has Taylor comfortably ahead and I suspect that will be the outcome.

FYI... Chris Daughtry's version of Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive on the new Idol CD is fantastic. Always thought it was a good tune but I can't tolerate BJ's screeching. You can listen to it for free on Napster.com.

Dolf said...

"Anonymous said... Why don't you post my comments???"

First of all, I don't know who "anonymous" is. So I don't know what comments you are referring to. If you want me to know which comments are yours, use the "Other" option when posting which allows you to make up a name for yourself.

The only comments I routinely reject are from a certain Mr. Michael Basler. And only because those comments are slanderous, filthy lies directed against yours truly. I have known "Mr. Basler" since 1st grade!