Wednesday, May 17, 2006

American Idol Predictions

Last night's American Idol was somewhat underwhelming. No one stunk, but no one really stood out either. I expected a much better show.

Taylor Hicks: C+ I was disappointed that Taylor didn't go for any of the higher notes at the end of "Dancing in the Dark". While the tone of his voice was good throughout all of his performances, he never really challenged himself vocally. He never "went for it".

Elliott Yamin: C+ Three competent performances. Lesser known song selections will probably hurt him.

Katherine McPhee: C+
Better than last week. But please retire the floor routine!

Prediction

Considering she was able to get by last week when she was absolutely horrible, I am guessing that Katherine will get through this week and make it into the finals. That means Elliot is most likely going home tonight. However, "shocking" things can happen at this stage.

AI Audio Downloads

Wish you could listen to Bobby Bennett's classic rendition of "Copacabana" whenever you wanted? If you have 99 cents, you now can. Check out the new American Idol download service.

12 comments:

Wrecking Machine said...

I thought Taylor's 'Tenderness' rendition was pretty good; it made me laugh. Every other performance was simply ok.

guh-bard said...

Have to disagree with the Dolfster on this one. While Taylor's Dancing In The Dark performace wasn't anything special, I thought he did a credible job with perhaps the lamest song Springsteen has ever done (and one of those songs I NEVER need to hear again in my lifetime).

But his other performances were incredible. They could release that performance he did last nite of You Are So Beautiful as a single and I'd bet it would top the AOR charts.

We were listening to The Commitments soundtrack (which is amazing, BTW)last week and I made the comment to my wife that Try A Little Tenderness would be the perfect song for Taylor and I was right. He nailed it.

As for Elliot and Kat, I'd give them a B and C respectively.

guh-bard said...

And FYI... DialIdol has Kat and Elliot locked into a tight fight for elimination tonite.

J-Nel said...

I'm surprise you are so hard on the AI contestants. I thought last night's performances were pretty solid. In fact, Taylor (outside of the facial expressions) marked a special place in my heart and nearly brought a tear to my eye when he sang 'You Are So Beautiful'.

I am admitting that I tried to vote last night and couldn't get through (for over 2 hours). Yes, my Tuesday evening was dedicating to making sure Taylor Hicks made it through to the next round.

How sexy are those grey locks???

Dolf said...

Maybe I was in a bad mood last night...

It's possible that I might have been too tough on the Idols. Many people seem to have liked last night's show.

However, I still want to see someone spill their guts on stage and deliver a truly memorable and emotional performance. I have yet to see that!

Dolf said...

As an example of a gut spilling performance, I'm thinking along the lines of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" from Nirvana's Unplugged in NY album. To me, it's one of the greatest live performances ever.

guh-bard said...

I would describe everything Kurt Cobain did as "gut spilling". From the perspective that listening to it made me ill.

As for heart wrenching performances, check out Sheryl Crow's performance of The Difficult Kind on this DVD.

Wrecking Machine said...

Finally, someone who agrees with me that Nirvana is not a good band.

Dolf said...

"Finally, someone who agrees with me that Nirvana is not a good band."

You and Guh-bard is messed up!

J-Nel said...

I agree with you, D! "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" was an incredible and memorable performance. It gives me chills every time I listen to that album.

Kurt Cobain is dreamy....

guh-bard said...

j-nell said...
Kurt Cobain is dreamy....

Wow... Ace Young and Kurt Cobain. A little all over the map aren't we j?

As I said earlier... "gut spilling", "chills"... all signs of illness evoked by the sounds of Nirvana.

The Foo Fighters are a different story though... gotta love what Grohl's done since.

J-Nel said...

Guhbard--

Okay, okay give me a break! So I like my men a little rough around the edges!...or maybe it's the long hair. Who knows!

Anyone see Ace with Pickler last night?