Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Worst. Movies. Ever.

After some debate, I have decided to add M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water to my list of worst movies. First of all, I have come to expect excellence from Shyamalan and Lady is far from it. I didn't care about the characters, the plot, or the mythology. Secondly, Young-Soon Choi, played by Cindy Cheung, is one of the most annoying characters to come along since Jar Jar Binks!

And speaking of Jar Jar, no list of bad movies would be complete without Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. To make my list a nice even 10, I decided to add Bill Murray's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou which is one of the dreariest and slowest paced movies I have ever seen. I think it was marketed as a comedy. However, I am quite certain I did not laugh once.

My "worst" list is actually more of a "biggest disappointment" list. The movies on this list either had tremendous hype (My Big Fat Greek Wedding), a great pedigree (The Godfather: Part III, The Matrix Reloaded), a huge budget with huge stars (Batman & Robin) or a big star coming off a big hit (Proof of Life, Johnny Mnemonic). Needless to say, all of these movies failed to deliver!

Dolf's Worst Movies Ever

  1. My Big Fat Greek Wedding
  2. Meet the Fokkers
  3. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  4. Johnny Mnemonic
  5. Batman & Robin
  6. Proof of Life
  7. The Godfather: Part III
  8. Lady in the Water
  9. The Matrix Reloaded
  10. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

4 comments:

Lance Bassler said...

i thought the matrix reloaded was pretty good except for the scenes with the ridiculous dancing and sex in zion.

my vote for biggest discrepancy between the accolades a movie received and how awful it actually is: terms of endearment. it's a piece of crap with an academy award.

MattyP said...

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou?

A let down sure, but top 10 of all time? That's a little harsh. Plus I think it gets better with repeated viewings.

Dolf said...

Mp, Aquatic was just sooooo boring. Unfortuantely, I don't think I'll ever have the time to test your "repeated viewing" theory! ;) However, I am sure it will be knocked out of the top ten soon. I am sure Hollywood has plenty of crappier crap in the pipeline.

Dolf said...

Lance, I can't remember that movie. But there seems to be many people who believe that American Beauty is the worst movie ever to win Best Picture. I happen to strongly disagree with that... But there are many critics who feel that way.