Friday, September 08, 2006

Series3 HD Tivo to be $799



The standalone Series3 HD Tivo is rumored to have an MSRP of $799. The info was accidentally leaked by Popular Mechanics. Additional rumors have the release date set at September 17th.

Tivo is supposedly going to offer a limited time "deal" that will allow you to transfer a lifetime subscription from your Series1 or 2 to the new Series3. Unfortunately, there is a $199 charge to do this. The Series3 must be purchased by December 31, 2006 and lifetime transfer by January 31, 2007.

3 comments:

The Bard said...

Hmmm.. let's see, pay my cable co. $7/mth for a dual tuner HD DVR which integrates quite nicely with their program guide or pay Tivo $800 plus $12/mth for one with it's own guide and sluggish channel changing ? Am I missing something ?

Though I'm still a Tivo owner, it's only because they lowered my subscription fee to $6/mth when I called to cancel.

Dolf said...

bard, you are right. the pricing is definitely quite steep. dare I say onerous!

the bard said...

Good article on the Series3 here.

The use of CableCards makes it's more interesting but still hard to swallow at $799.