Thursday, March 01, 2007

Dolf Zone Movie Pick / Zodiac

Since Fight Club is my favorite movie of all time, to say that I am anxiously awaiting David Fincher's Zodiac would be a massive understatement. And considering that I love movies about serial killers (and who doesn't?), I am nearly ready to bust.

Since Fincher already has one classic serial killer movie under his belt (1995's Se7en), I am certain that Zodiac is going to kill! No pun intended.

If you are going to the movies this weekend, go see Zodiac! Visit the official site.

Based on the actual case files of one of the most intriguing unsolved crimes in the nation's history, “Zodiac” is a thriller from David Fincher, director of “Seven” and “Fight Club.” As a serial killer terrifies the San Francisco Bay Area and taunts police with his ciphers and letters, investigators in four jurisdictions search for the murderer. The case will become an obsession for four men as their lives and careers are built and destroyed by the endless trail of clues.


From 1966 to 1978, the Zodiac Killer claimed victim after victim in the San Francisco Bay area, repeatedly taunting law-enforcement authorities with direct messages bragging about his deeds. The killer is officially blamed for six murders, but claimed to have killed some 37 people and could have been responsible for as many as 50. When Zodiac starts killing again, the son of the broken journalist who tracked his every move and the retired cop who never caught him, continue the search to find the notorious serial killer.

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Edwards, Brian Cox
Director(s): David Fincher

8 comments:

Wrecking Machine said...

How is it that you pick a movie before you've seen it?

Dolf said...

I am so confident in David Fincher's abilities that I have no choice but to recommend it.

If you MUST have an official review, I will personally email you one as soon as I see it.

Wrecking Machine said...

Have you seen The Departed yet? I was wondering if it was one of those 'Actually Good Best Pictures' like American Beauty or Gladiator, or one of those 'Man, this movie sucked/is incredibly overrated, why the hell did it get best picture Best Pictures' like Shakespeare in Love or Forrest Gump.

Wrecking Machine said...

Also, let's not forget David Fincher directed the raging crapfest Panic Room, so he's not exactly 100%.

Dolf said...

Somehow "The Departed" slipped through the cracks for me. However, I plan on seeing it soon. I blame my Tivo!

I have a feeling that I will like "The Departed" very much. Just like "Zodiac"!

I agree that "American Beauty" and "Gladiator" (I would throw in "Braveheart" as well) are great examples of "Actually Good Best Pictures". However, you might be surprised to learn that a large contingent of movie snobs think that "American Beauty" is the *worst* Best Picture winner.

Wrecking Machine said...

So I just saw 'The Prestige', and I have a few pieces of advice:

1) Watch it.
2) Add Christopher Nolan to your list of directors whose movies you automatically assume are good.

Anonymous said...

Saw Zodiac on Friday. Promising but not worth the price of admission in the end. As it turned out, this movie would be more at home on A&E as a crime investigation. There wasn't a plot to hold onto and while in the theatre I had a compulsive need to turn around to make sure some psycho wasn't about to stab me in the neck (I was at an early show and there were only 10 of us in the room).
I saw The Prestige and The Illusionist as an at home double feature. And side by side I give the edge to The Prestige. It really was close until the ending of The Illusionist ruined the entire movie. Great stories told during both movies with great performances (especially by Batman). Great payoff ending in The Prestige as compared to The Illusionist's.

Anonymous said...

You want a brilliant suspense film? Go see BREACH. From start to finish an amazing pace and a tempo is set. And at the end I found myself wanting more of the story! After Zodiac, the lesson is don't invest in directors. Actors are the more bankable commodities when you're shopping for movies!!! And Chris Cooper is gold. His isn't a household name but his characters are. And before I saw this movie Ryan Phillipe was just another pretty boy heartthrob for teenage girls. But he proved himself as a very good actor in Breach (didn't much care for the over-hyped CRASH). Next up: 300.