Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cincinnati's Time Warner Cable Says Screw You To Hi Def Tivo & CableCard Users

[Breaking News: Personally confirmed that only ESPN2 HD is in the SDV zone. Although I am still pissed, I guess I can live with it... for now! Hopefully an SDV solution will be provided for CableCard users *before* more channels are affected. Great job from Time Warner service rep Carl in the Kettering Center.]

[Breaking News: Conflicting reports... It might be only ESPN2 HD that is effected. Will report back soon.]

It looks like Time Warner Cincinnati has finally started implementing SDV (aka Switched Digital Video). This means that the entire Standard HD Tier which includes ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Discovery HD, and TNT HD is no longer available to HD Tivo / Series 3 users, as well as all of those people who use CableCards directly in their TV's or Media Center PCs.

In my opinion this is a direct violation of the FCC CableCard mandate.

For those who do not know the back story... People with HD Tivos (and other compatible devices) use CableCards instead of a Time Warner Cable Box/DVR.

A few years ago, the FCC forced cable companies to offer CableCards so people would have a greater choice of hardware and would not be forced to rent cable boxes month after month after month! Obviously, the cable companies hate this because they lose out on those high monthly rental fees. It is my opinion (and many others) that cable companies will do everything they can to sabotage and punish CableCard users. For example, Time Warner Cincinnati could have easily put the HD Premium Tier (Mojo, Universal HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies) into SDV instead of the far more popular HD Standard Tier which includes both ESPNs.

To file official complaints please visit:

FCC / Put "97-80" in the "Proceeding" field
City Manager's office of Cable Communications
ICRC

You can visit the Tivo Community Forum for some more techie details.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=316313&page=42&pp=50

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=362887&page=2

6 comments:

JDP said...

Time Warner Cable has the worst customer service in the world! The customer service reps are incompetent idiots.

I was planning on buying a Tivo HD but this might alter my plans. Looks like I will probably go with a satellite option. Whatever I chose it will Definitely NOT be Time Warner and their crappy HD DVR.

Can anyone say Verizon FIOS???

NH said...

I was hoping that wasn't the case. I was going to call tonight to see why ESPNHD, TNTHD and DiscoveryHD disappeared... as of this morning, nobody had posted about it on tivocommunity, so I was hoping it was a glitch... it's happened before.

I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.
I HATE Time Warner.

Barak Obasler said...

This enrages me so much that, even though I don't have HD Tivo or a home anywhere near Time Warner's range, I'm going to write a series of nasty diatribes and rile all truly patriotic Americans to this cause! I say, bring the troops home now and send them to Time Warner to kick some "tivo-errorist" butt!!!

Dolf said...

Thanks Barak. That actually elicited a chuckle out of me. Which you know is very difficult... especially during trying times such as these...

If we all come together, we *can* win. In the immortal words of John Lennon, "If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace."

So come on everybody! Let's band together and bring Time Warner Cable down!

Marie Antoinette Basler said...

Dogs should be treated nicely and gently.

Enrageous Baslerius said...

Hey, someone posted something using my last name, but it was NOT ME! Dolf, I demand that you investigate!!