Sunday, October 21, 2007

Dolf Zone Pick / Nirvana Unplugged on DVD



One of the finest moments in the history of recorded music is finally making its way to DVD. Nirvana's "MTV Unplugged in New York" was my Beatles on Ed Sullivan when it aired fourteen years ago back in 1993.

I remember the anticipation while I was at work that day. I was far more useless and distracted than usual. I knew that Nirvana's "Unplugged" was going to be a phenomenal event. And I was right... I can still remember that evening very vividly - the oddball stage with (fake?) plants strategically placed about; Kurt's grandpa sweater; that new dude with the red, white, and blue guitar. But the most memorable thing of all were the unbelievable performances. I knew that I had just witnessed something historical. Something truly amazing...

Although I was not familiar with several of the songs, it really didn't matter. Each performance was immediately accessible and instantly classic. From the Vaselines' "Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam" to Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World" to the Meat Puppets' "Lake of Fire", I was floored. By the time Cobain wailed that massive howl at the end of Lead Belly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night", I was emotionally drained. In my opinion that night's performance cemented Nirvana's place in musical history and placed them well above their grunge counterparts. Nirvana's "MTV Unplugged in New York" has been in constant Dolf rotation for the past thirteen years and will stay in that rotation until I cease to be.
NEW YORK (Billboard) - Nirvana's 1993, "MTV Unplugged" taping will make its DVD debut November 20.

"MTV Unplugged in New York" was released November 1, 1994, on CD, the first Nirvana product to appear following Kurt Cobain's suicide that April.

Like the CD, the Universal Music DVD will include the songs "Something in the Way" and "Oh Me," which did not appear on the original MTV broadcast. The DVD also sports four tracks from the band's soundcheck and previously unreleased behind-the-scenes footage. More...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking for a little help...I have always loved Nirvana but have never really listened to ALL their music.

I want to make a kick ass running play list of Nirvana music. I am looking for stuff beyond their popular songs that just totally rocks to run to!! Can you suggest a few tracks??

Sorry for crashing your blog...

Dolf / @dolfer said...

No problem... Here are some of my favorites that weren't released as singles. I think...

* Sliver / Insecticide
* Negative Creep / Bleach
* Stay Away / Nevermind
* Serve the Servants / In Utero
* Lounge Act / Nevermind
* Son of a Gun / Insecticide
* Scentless Aprrentice / In Utero
* Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam / Unplugged
* Drain You / Nevermind
* Frances Farmer Will... / In Utero
* Territorial Pissings / Nevermind
* About a Girl / Unplugged
* Where Did You Sleep Last Night / Unplugged
* All Apologies / Unplugged
* Molly's Lips / Insecticide
* Floyd the Barber / BLeach