Friday, December 21, 2007

Great Geek Article!

You must be somewhat of a geek to appreciate the humor here...

Part of me believes that Vista might spell the end for Microsoft in the consumer OS space. Call me crazy but I believe Vista is truly that bad!

As an advanced user, I can honestly say that I *hate* the Vista experience! XP is far better. Open source OS's (Ubuntu) and office suites (Open Office) are getting better and better. It is only a matter of time before people and businesses say goodbye to Microsoft's high priced products and their draconian product activation schemes. The Vista debacle is also a golden opportunity for Apple to grab a bigger piece of the consumer market.

But I digress... Enjoy...
I have finally decided to take the plunge. Last night I upgraded my Vista desktop machine to Windows XP, and this afternoon I will be doing the same to my laptop.

Look & Feel

Windows XP has quite a cartoony look and feel compared to the slick look of Aero Glass; this is mostly offset by the lack of strange screen artifacts caused by malfunctioning graphics code. You know, almost like static on the screen. This was a once or twice monthly occurrence on my laptop, and happened on my desktop whenever I logged in, and also whenever I played a 3D game after leaving Vista running for a couple of hours. I also miss the "orphaned windows" I got on Vista, dialog boxes that would not go away, in a sense they became part of the desktop, since you could drag a selection from within them, despite the fact that the Glass would render the selection below them. Such crazy graphics bugs appear to be a thing of the past. Read the rest of the review.

4 comments:

Steve Wozniasler said...

What do you like better about XP? I recently had an XP computer die on me, and the replacement is a Vista machine. So far it's been fine for me, though I'm sure part of it is just that the new machine has more horsepower.

People have been predicting the demise of MS for quite a while now. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but they're still a hugely profitable company...

Dolf said...

I didn't say Microsoft is doomed... But I do believe they are going to lose a sizable chunk of the OS and office suite market in 5-10 years. These are the two major cash cows for MS. Hopefully they can recoup the loss through the XBox 360 and Enterprise products.

There is absolutely nothing compelling about Vista. There is no good reason to upgrade. On top of that Vista hijacks your machine and treats advanced users as if they were retards... It's big, bloated, slow and stupid.

Dolf said...

"It's big, bloated, slow and stupid."

Sorry Basler, inctBytnder, and whoever else tries to turn this way-too-easy setup back onto me! It's not getting through! C'mon!

Wrecking Machine said...

I'm still cruising with Windows 2000 Server. I should write an article for upgrading from WinXP to Win2k.