Saturday, February 16, 2008

HD DED...



Although I still contend that HD DVD is the superior technology it looks like it is finally dead. Thanks to Sony's back door dealings Blu-ray appears to have won. I failed to realize the impact of such dealings when I prematurely (naively?) declared HD DVD the victor in the hi-def disc battle. How else could you explain why a still-not-finished spec with ridiculously overpriced players stands victorious?
Toshiba has halted production of HD DVD players and recorders and is close to making a decision on whether to throw in the towel on the high-definition movie disc format, Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported Saturday evening. Read Full Story...

P.S. If anyone out there in Dolf Land sees any fire sales on HD DVD discs please let me know ASAP! I want to stock up before they are extinct.

5 comments:

MattyP said...

I but there will be a ton of sales on HD DVD movies in the near future. Might not be best for the long term, but you'll probably be able to build a decent HD collection for a lot cheaper than if you went with Blu-Ray.

I know a guy who had a laser-disc player that scooped up a ton of cheap movies when that format died. He was pretty psyched by the whole thing.

Star Trek: The Next Basleration said...

Your prediction on who's going to win Idol this year? I wanna get your keen insight before I do some online betting.

WT said...

At least with just one format the industry can move on, better for the consumer in the long run.

WT said...

At least with just one format the industry can move forward. Better for the consumer to only have one format as well.

Wrecking Machine said...

The time is now. Well, yesterday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20080221/tc_cmp/206800876;_ylt=ArG_V.EDQtjkcX5rzAg.__4E1vAI