Friday, March 14, 2008

Would You Like Extra Cancer With That?

As if we don't have enough cancer risks to worry about here comes popcorn. Popcorn???? Let's just blow this planet up and start over...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A chemical used to give butter flavor to popcorn can damage the lungs and airways of mice, U.S. government experts reported on Thursday.

Tests on mice show that diacetyl, a component of artificial butter flavoring, can cause a condition known as lymphocytic bronchiolitis, said the team at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, part of the National Institutes of Health.

The condition can lead to obliterative bronchiolitis -- or "popcorn lung" -- a rare and debilitating disease seen in workers at microwave popcorn packaging plants and at least one consumer.

At least two microwave popcorn makers -- ConAgra Foods Inc and Weaver Popcorn Co Inc -- have said recently they would stop using diacetyl. Full Article.

1 comment:

The Other Basler Girl said...

The dose makes the poison. I wouldn't wanna work in a microwave popcorn factory, but the occasional buter flavoring exposure is unlikely to be dangerous. Remember, even drinking too much water can kill you.