Friday, May 02, 2008

Deep Video Friday / Last Lecture

Normally you might expect to see one of my famous "Stupid Video Friday" segments today, but I thought I would bust out something a little different for a change. I just saw Randy's sad but uplifting story on Fox News. Although I have not had a chance to watch the entire 76 minute presentation, "Last Lecture" definitely looks like something worth watching.



Carnegie Mellon Professor Randy Pausch, who is dying from pancreatic cancer, gave his last lecture at the university Sept. 18, 2007, before a packed McConomy Auditorium. In his moving talk, "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams," Pausch talked about his lessons learned and gave advice to students on how to achieve their own career and personal goals. For more, visit www.cmu.edu/randyslecture.

"Journeys" are special University Lectures in which Carnegie Mellon faculty members share their reflections on their journeys -- the everyday actions, decisions, challenges and joys that make a life.


Visit both Carnegie Mellon and Randy's personal site for more information on this story.

7 comments:

GW said...

Ironic, I saw this story last week somewhere and logged onto Amazon to buy his book. Just came in the mail about 15 minutes before I read this. :)

GW said...

off topic: You think Jason Castro is high as a kite on Idol? I'm gonna miss him.

Dolf said...

No doubt! He's funny. Someone should follow him around with cameras for a few weeks. I am sure it would make for a good reality series.

I do think he'll end up with a recording contract of some kind.

I can't believe constantly-in-the-bottom-three Sheyisha has made it to the FINAL three.

wtf??? said...

That mealy weasel...a recording contract? Maybe, just maybe, ala William Hung!

Dolf if you think he is good, or even fair, you just lost any credibility that you never had.

I can't believe he made it to the final four, and you are shocked he was repeatedly in the bottom three? I see now that he owes his soul to a bunch of 12 year old girls and 12 year old girl wannabes...like you.

Dolf said...

WTF, never said he was good... I said he'd get "some kind" of recording contract.

His performances of Halleluyeah and Somewhere Over The Rainbow shot the original versions of those songs up the charts. That won't get lost on some record company exec looking for a quick cash in.

wtf??? said...

Dolf-

Correction...I don't think the original version of "Rainbow" by Judy Garland (1939) "shot....up the charts".

Now some re-make versions did indeed see a chart jump, such as the 700%increase in sales and a huge jump (from No. 187 to No. 11) on Nielsen SoundScan's digital songs chart for the 1993 version recorded by the late Hawaiian giant Bruddah Iz, aka Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

Semantics...but thought I needed to be idol-vigilant.

Wiss said...

First... THANK God Jason is gone! Would have much rather seen Carly in the top 4!

GW: If you enjoyed this story, you should really read "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom (yes, the sports writer)... VERY similar situation and a GREAT read!