Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Last Chance for a Hummer?


I hate SUVs and I despise giant trucks! So GM's announcement is great news for me. Five years from now I hope the majority of trucks and SUVs are rotting in junkyards.

The fact is very few people actually need SUVs or trucks. Most people in SUVs are driving by themselves and most people driving trucks aren't hauling anything! Ever!

Many times I find myself completely surrounded by these mammoth vehicles which serve to totally eclipse my view of the road ahead. And nothing infuriates me more than trying to blindly back out of a parking space with a Yukon parked to one side of me and an F350 on the other.

So if you want a Hummer, you better act fast! These dinosaurs will soon be extinct.

WILMINGTON, Del. - General Motors is closing four truck and SUV plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico as surging fuel prices hasten a dramatic shift to smaller vehicles.

CEO Rick Wagoner said Tuesday before the automaker's annual meeting in Delaware the plants to be closed are in Oshawa, Ontario; Moraine, Ohio; Janesville, Wis.; and Toluca, Mexico.

He also said the iconic Hummer brand may be discontinued. More...

3 comments:

wtf??? said...

Dolf-

Tell me why it is you despise these vehicles. Is it because of their size...or is it bacuse of the amount of gas they consume?

If for gas....would you agree that a 1986 Chevy Corvette would also be a vehicle of Satan?


Oh...er...uhhh....ohhh

Burn.

Dolf said...

WTF,

I think it is fairly obvious that I hate them because of their size. The two examples I mention are both related to SIZE. In fact, I didn't even mention the word GAS. Not once. Perhaps you should retake English 101...

I didn't even mention the most insidious aspect of these vehicles - crash incompatibility.

Peace,
Model D

Wrecking Machine said...

I'm a little surprised it took GM this long to THINK SENSIBLY. With rising gas prices over the last, what, 5 years, it was pretty evident that people would stop buying so many large vehicles in favor of smaller ones.

Yet, GM kept on churning out the big gas-guzzlers. I think that explains the $3 billion loss per QUARTER. This is a prime example of what happens to companies that don't adapt to market forces. Supply and demand and all that.