Friday, January 09, 2009

Dolf Zone's Best of 2008

Here are my picks for the best of 2008.

Best TV Show:

* Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld - Who knew running gags about enslaving foreign teens in your basement and same-sex, rest stop bathroom trysts could be so funny? One of the most offensive shows on TV. I hope it stays on forever!

Best Movie (Tie):

* The Dark Knight - The perfect mix of incredible performances, special effects, and social commentary. It's rare for a "big" movie to have all of those elements align so well...

* WALL-E - This movie is now my favorite Pixar film! Besides some very clever (and biting) social and economic commentary, the technology behind the film demonstrates that *anything* is now possible... Any crazy, psychotic, and far out images that one can dream up can now be realistically recreated on the screen. Unbelievable visuals... I really want a sequel to this.

Best Product (Tie):

* XBox Live "New Xbox Experience" (NXE) - I have seen the future of entertainment and it's here... Games, TV Shows, Movies, Social Networking... It's all here in an incredible user interface.

* Logitech Freepulse Wireless Headphones - I HATE wires! Especially when I am trying to work out. These headphones are a godsend. I dream of a day without wires...

Best Video Game:

* Call of Duty: World at War


Best Song (Three way tie):

* "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay

* "Pork and Beans" by Weezer

* "Supernatural Superserious" by R.E.M.


Worst Product (Tie):


* Microsoft Vista - Was there any doubt I would pick Vista in this category???

* The Scientific Atlanta SA8300HD DVR used by Time Warner Cable - Horrible! Unresponsive. It feels like the remote control's signal first travels to Mars and then back down to the box. If I had to use this at home I would kill myself. Thank God I have a Tivo HD.

Biggest Disappointment:

* Dell Computer - It was a sad day when I removed Dell from my "Dolf's Top Brands" category.

Best Software (All free!):

* Skype - Videoconferencing that works!

* Malwarebytes - If you have a spyware-infested machine this WILL fix it.

* Opera Mobile - If you have a Windows Mobile Phone you must ditch the awful mobile version of Internet Explorer and use this!

* Slide Rocket - Google needs to buy this company and make its excellent presentation software completely free. This is what PowerPoint should be...

Worst Software (Tie):

* Microsoft Vista - A two time winner!

* Outlook 2007 - Want to bring any modern supercomputer to its knees? Launch FireFox and Excel while Outlook 2007 is booting up, sit back, and enjoy the show...

4 comments:

Wrecking Machine said...

Vista was released in 2007, douchebag.

MattyP said...

Your 3-way tie for best song would all make my top 10 list for the year.

But have you heard the Creaky Boards' "The Songs I didn't Write" (The song they are claiming Coldplay ripped off for Viva la Vida)? It's 1) eerily similar and 2) a pretty good song on its own. Here' s a link to it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77UgMJBH80I

Have you listened to MuteMath? Even though it was released in 2007, I probably played their debut more than any other album last year. Great Stuff! (Plus they did a very cool version of the Transformers original theme song for the movie)

Dolf said...

Machine, I also think the headphones I so adore are probably 2 or 3 years old too... I exist outside the confines of space and time. I know it's hard for you to understand. But please trust me on this one.

I am planning to do a clean reinstall of Vista and will give it one more chance. If things work out better I will make it known on the DZ.

Dolf said...

thanks MP, I will check out the tune. I think Joe Satriani is suing them too for the same thing!

I love MM's Transformers song. Very cool...